Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tues, Aug 27th - SUNNYSIDE MINE



Looking through the windshield, there was a really low hanging cloud this morning:
 You can see cars on Hwy 550 above the cloud:
 
Charles, Jane, and we went to the Sunnyside Mine today.  This mine dates back to the 1880s and produced gold, silver, lead, copper, & zinc.  Over its lifetime, it produced over $150,000,000.  It closed the first time in 1930, reopened in 1937 for one year.  It opened again in 1959.  On June 4, 1978, the bottom of a lake (Lake Emma) collapsed and sent thousands of gallons of water and millions of tons of rock and mud thru the underground tunnels, eventually emptying out at Gladstone - about two miles away and 1500 feet lower.  Fortunately, this was a Sunday so there were no miners working.  After two years of clean-up and repairs, the mine reopened and operations continued until at least 1991. 
 

 The Sunnyside Mill in the Eureka ghost town is visible before ever starting the climb up to Sunnyside Mine:
 

 A different look:
The old tram house; still in pretty good shape:

 
 Some of the tram debris:

 

 Guessing they don't want us on this trail:
This is what is up there.  This "door" has been added since last year:
 The wall with the "pink" rock (Rhodochrosite) which is used in a lot of jewelry locally.  There used to be a lot more of  it visible.  Tourists chip away at it (yes, we have been known to take our hammer):

 
 Chillin'
 
We finished the day by making a side-trip to Gladstone to look for Mama Moose and baby.  All we saw was a bunny rabbit. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment